Skip to main content

Reply From Sarah Churchwell

Eyewear is glad to live in the digital age where replies can be fairly immediate. Dr. Sarah Churchwell (pictured) has kindly replied to my post on her column on The Bourne series (and agreed it may be reprinted here). Her complete email of today is below:

Dear Todd,
Thank you for your comment, which I read with interest.
I don't disagree with your assessment of the film, for the most part, although I'm not generally leaping onto the 'greatest thriller since le Carré' bandwagon. I think they are enjoyable films, and I have a lot of time for Matt Damon, who I think is a very intelligent and interesting actor. I found this film fun but so deeply silly that it is hard for me to take it seriously as a moral statement of any kind, except in so far as it is about taking responsibility, an idea which it deals with consistently, if rather overtly for my taste. But that's not a criticism, necessarily, it's just not my cup of tea to have things explained so carefully to me.
As for why I didn't give credit to what I like about the film -- I'm afraid that was for a very banal and demoralizing reason, called space. In fact the piece was edited for space after I wrote it (a very common occurrence) cutting out another 100 or so words I wrote, mostly about the novels, and the fact that Marie becomes less capable over the course of the books as well. But it wasn't a review and I simply wasn't given the room to give the film its due, which I would happily have done with either more space, or a different remit. But on the whole I think it's an enjoyable franchise, although I thought this installment had too many holes. (Why would a top-ranking black ops agent running from the CIA travel under his own passport, for starters?)
My point was simply that Stiles's character doesn't do anything useful, and I'm afraid I find it hard to see that she ever "acts quickly and expertly." When would that be? When she signed onto the CIA computer using her own name so they could trace her? When she rattled door handles? Dismantling her mobile phone so Bourne could follow her was mildly intelligent, but hardly expert. The washcloth? Dying her hair?
All I'm saying is that I can't see any reason why the script couldn't have given her a skill, an ability, an ingenious decision, anything. That wouldn't have been inconsistent with her lowly status as junior agent. She could still know how to do something other than rattle doors. I can't see what she was doing in the film at all, except to give Jason the chance to rescue her. The character has no function in the plot at all other than that, and I found it exasperating and unnecessary to watch a woman standing around being pointless and looking worried. It gets annoying.
The word misogyny never appears in my article; headlines are editorial. I don't actually think it's misogynistic either -- I just think it's tedious. Editors try to stir pots with headlines; it's their job.
Good luck with your site.
Best wishes,


Sarah

---
Dr Sarah Churchwell
Senior Lecturer in American Literature and Culture
School of American Studies
University of East Anglia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CLIVE WILMER'S THOM GUNN SELECTED POEMS IS A MUST-READ

THAT HANDSOME MAN  A PERSONAL BRIEF REVIEW BY TODD SWIFT I could lie and claim Larkin, Yeats , or Dylan Thomas most excited me as a young poet, or even Pound or FT Prince - but the truth be told, it was Thom Gunn I first and most loved when I was young. Precisely, I fell in love with his first two collections, written under a formalist, Elizabethan ( Fulke Greville mainly), Yvor Winters triad of influences - uniquely fused with an interest in homerotica, pop culture ( Brando, Elvis , motorcycles). His best poem 'On The Move' is oddly presented here without the quote that began it usually - Man, you gotta go - which I loved. Gunn was - and remains - so thrilling, to me at least, because so odd. His elegance, poise, and intelligence is all about display, about surface - but the surface of a panther, who ripples with strength beneath the skin. With Gunn, you dressed to have sex. Or so I thought.  Because I was queer (I maintain the right to lay claim to that

IQ AND THE POETS - ARE YOU SMART?

When you open your mouth to speak, are you smart?  A funny question from a great song, but also, a good one, when it comes to poets, and poetry. We tend to have a very ambiguous view of intelligence in poetry, one that I'd say is dysfunctional.  Basically, it goes like this: once you are safely dead, it no longer matters how smart you were.  For instance, Auden was smarter than Yeats , but most would still say Yeats is the finer poet; Eliot is clearly highly intelligent, but how much of Larkin 's work required a high IQ?  Meanwhile, poets while alive tend to be celebrated if they are deemed intelligent: Anne Carson, Geoffrey Hill , and Jorie Graham , are all, clearly, very intelligent people, aside from their work as poets.  But who reads Marianne Moore now, or Robert Lowell , smart poets? Or, Pound ?  How smart could Pound be with his madcap views? Less intelligent poets are often more popular.  John Betjeman was not a very smart poet, per se.  What do I mean by smart?

"I have crossed oceans of time to find you..."

In terms of great films about, and of, love, we have Vertigo, In The Mood for Love , and Casablanca , Doctor Zhivago , An Officer and a Gentleman , at the apex; as well as odder, more troubling versions, such as Sophie's Choice and  Silence of the Lambs .  I think my favourite remains Bram Stoker's Dracula , with the great immortal line "I have crossed oceans of time to find you...".